Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Geotagging. I'm it

This week, my assignment was to tag some of my images in flickr with geotags. You can see where they fall on my map by clicking here.

I love the geotagging aspect of images. Honestly, I have never used it until now though not sure why. I also give my images tags, but never scrolled down further and assigned geotags. I love that my images can show up on the map of their origin.

I added 5 images - Greensboro, NC, Winston Salem, NC, Atlanta, Georgia, Salt Lake City, Utah and Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Searching in my head for instructional uses of this medium. Maybe an art class. Maybe a history class can create their own version of a walking tour. Maybe this is an icebreaker assignment to get students talking about themselves. Maybe a college can start this tradition and encourage students to do the same.

Then, we watched the brief presentation on Ted by Blaise on Photosynth. This "software" takes tagged images and links them together spatially. So if I took an image of a location and you took an image of the same location, then we both geotagged it correctly, our images could be related in the future and form one mega-image. It demonstrates how contributions to all of the endless social networks are not in vain. Of course, it does make you think before you tag your next digital image. Do I really want to stand in front of this famous building and pretend like I am holding it up? Where could this image end up?

Finally, I was asked to review the EXIF information on my data. I could not find that data on my camera, but my camera software on my computer is updated regularly. When I uploaded my images to flickr, flickr figured out what kind of camera that I was using and tagged my images automatically with this information - even down to the type of Canon PowerShot. Very cool

No comments:

Post a Comment